From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Michael Holt
Sent: Sunday, March 26, 2000 2:15 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [newbie] Linux is so slow... Please help

I'm dual booting an AMD K6/3 450 (actually booting Win98, NT 4, Mandrake
linux,
and BeOS 4.5- whew!)  I have 192 MB RAM and a mix of both UDMA 33 & UDMA 66
hard disks.  My Linux system runs just as smooth as Windows.  I know that
doesn't answer why you're having problems, but I just want to assure you
that
Linux does work correctly.

Now for a shot in the dark, on one of your previous reply's I noticed that
you
did a 'developer' installation - I wonder if somehow that could be the
problem
(I'm not a programmer, so I don't know).  I would assume that doing that
type
of install would just install the extra source code for each program, but I
don't know for sure.  It sounds like you have a pretty fast system, why not
try
a re-install at just the basic installation?  Not to encourage you to waste
time, but one of the reasons I've seen a lot of people give up on Linux is
not
being able to get it to work right away.  I personally installed several
times
with each different distribution that I've tried out, just to get a feel for
what that version wanted to leave me with.  Guys / gals that have been using
Linux forever, would cringe at that advice, but I think it's the best way to
get familiar with your system.  (That and some books)

One more thought, usually when I experience the system running sort of slow,
or
as you describe the mouse cursor break dancing across the screen, it's
because
something is running in the background draining the system resources
(windows
does the same thing).  This sort of ties in with the 'developer' install;
again
I'm not sure what that install does, but it may be running something in the
background that doesn't need to be running.

Possibly (if you can get your kde desktop open) you could click the icon
'Drakconf', when that window opens click 'startup services' and you can view
(and change) which programs start at boot time.  I believe you also get this
option when you install your system (it's been awhile since I've installed).
For example, if you're not on a LAN, you don't need the 'NFS daemon' to
start
on boot.  I also turn off the 'CRON daemon'; you'll have to read through
your
documentation to see which ones you can live without.

And finally, even if you don't do the 'developer' install, you can still
install all of the tools you need to write and compile programs (compilers,
etc.) just by selecting at install time.

I hope this has given you something to work with, if not, try not to get
discouraged, Linux is worth it!
Michael Holt
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Charles Ulwelling wrote:

> Hum... Well when I open it it isn't just slow it gets to the point where
it
> just isn't responding, I assumed it was a bug in linux as far as RAM
> utilization went.  By not responding I mean I'll move the mouse and it
will
> take about 3 seconds for it to *jump* to the location I moved it to.  It
is
> really annoying.
> Just out of curiosity should linux run as smoothly as win98 as far as
> opening apps, and moving the app window across the screen or is it
naturally
> jumpy and something I should get used to.
>
> Thanks,
> Charles Ulwelling

that

http://secure.clickdough.com/servlets/cr/CRSignup.po?referral_id=kittypuss