Bruce Hilliker wrote:

> Jon wrote:
>
> > Mani Abreu wrote:
> >
> > > Nope. Just tried that, here's the result:
> > >     mount: the kernel does not recognize /dev/sda4 as a block device
> > >         (maybe 'insmod driver'?)
> > >
> > > I read that the problem may be that the kernel is loading the drivers for
> > > the line printer first, before parport/ppa driver. How do I change the
> > > order around?
> > >
> > > Mani

> > Geez, You guys made me dig my old zip drive out of the closet to test this problem
> > and you know, it didn't work either.  Tried it on a RedHat 6.1 and a Mandrake
> > 7.0-2 machine.  Hardware works as I made a DOS boot disk with guest.exe on it.
> > Worked fine with Redhat 5.2 and Slackware 3.6 some time ago with the commands
> > listed above.  I also looked at modules loaded and tried it without any modules
> > and in init 1 hand loading modules.  Since the kernel for Mandrake 7.0 came from
> > Redhat 6.1 (Recompiled) I wonder if perhaps lp (or another parallel port using
> > service)  support was built into the kernel instead of as a mod.
> >
> > Question!  Does anyone out there have a parallel port ZIP working on Mandrake
> > 7.0-2 or RedHat 6.1?  If so, can you please tell us how you did it?  Give out with
> > the port setting in the BIOS, Kernel you used and anything else you think might
> > help.  I am going to try recompiling a kernel to see if I can get it working.
>
> I don't really know if this will help; but check out the attached "text" file.  I
> come from
> the Linux Gazette.
>
> Bruce :-)

>   Zip Drive Mini-HOWTO
>   Kyle Dansie,   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>   v2.4, 10 January 1999
>
>   This Document provides a quick reference quide on setting up and using
>   the Iomega ZIP drive with Linux.
>   ______________________________________________________________________
>
>   Table of Contents
>
>   1. Introduction

-------SNIP---------------SNIP------Cut for
brevity-----------------------SNIP

Thanks Bruce, Pretty sure that the same version of the howto that I
own...

My point here was to see if anyone has a working parallel port zip under
either ManDrake 7.0-2 or RedHat 6.1 as I have both running and neither
can use the drive, yet my Slackware can.  I see MANY post in this group
asking how to do it yet none saying that they DID it.  I have owned the
drive for some time and used it in many different distros of linux.
Since RedHat and Mandrake hope to be the next Windoze style OS (Nobody
choke on that, you know it's true) this particular thing should work
with a minimum of hassle.  PPA ZIP drives have been working in linux for
a long time.

And since I am on the soapbox:

linuxconf

is a great program but, it takes it's lesson from M$ and hides
everything it does behind the scenes.  How will the average joe learn to
do admin stuff if he never see's where and what changes were made?
Linuxconf NEEDS a "show me everthing" mode.  Are you listening RedHat?