Had the same problem but 'modprobe ppa' worked...mounted zip from console with "
mount -t  vfat  /dev/sda4  /mnt/zipdos".... (Had to create
empty mount point directory zipdos in /mnt and had to have a dos formatted zip
disk in the drive  Iomega uses partition 4  [sda4] as default in their
preformatted dos disks.)...Works fine. Then added entry to fstab.
Added kdelnk to zip drive on desktop and can access the zip with a click of the
mouse.
Hope this helps
Tom T