I too have the exact same problem with BOTH Redhat 6.1 and Mandrake 7.0.
sda4 is not a valid block device.  Here is my dmesg file where the
parport_pc and ppa is loaded at the end. btw the other SCSI I have is the
emulation for the CDburner which I have not yet wrestled with...

Linux version 2.2.14-15mdk ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) (gcc version
2.95.2 19991024 (release)) #1 Tue Jan 4 22:24:20
snip....

parport0: PC-style at 0x378 [SPP,PS2,EPP]
ppa: Version 2.03 (for Linux 2.2.x)
ppa: Found device at ID 6, Attempting to use EPP 32 bit
ppa: Communication established with ID 6 using EPP 32 bit
scsi1 : Iomega VPI0 (ppa) interface
scsi : 2 hosts.
  Vendor: IOMEGA    Model: ZIP 100           Rev: D.09
Detected scsi removable disk sda at scsi1, channel 0, id 6, lun 0
SCSI device sda: hdwr sector= 512 bytes. Sectors= 196608 [96 MB] [0.1 GB]
sda: Write Protect is off
 sda:SCSI disk error : host 1 channel 0 id 6 lun 0 return code = 27010000
scsidisk I/O error: dev 08:00, sector 0
 unable to read partition table