On Thu, 13 Apr 2000, Ove Peter wrote:

> > Some networking problems:
> >I am hooked to my campus ethernet network.
> >While running windows, I get tremendous throughput loading pages, doing
> >ftp, etc..now in netscape in linux, I am getting throughput no higher than
> >3.5k/sec and then it starts dropping, and stalls out..goes back up to
> >3.5/3.6 and drops slowly to 3.0, 2.9,2.8..etc then stalls out..
> >any ideas?  I am using an AMD K6-II 350 overclocked to 400, 128 megs
> >SDRAM, an SMC EtherEZ 8416 NIC, mandrake 7.0
>
> I think thatīs a Netscape related problem. Actually Iīm so fed up with
> Netscape that I donīt use it anymore...

Question:  when installing Mandrake and networking, it asked for the type
of NIC I had...well my card type (above) wasn't listed so I choose SMC
Ultra...do you think it has anything to do with using this driver rather
than one for my NIC that's more exact?  I checked SMC's website and I
believe that it has a driver for my specific card...or am I being stupid?
Valjean