> Some networking problems:
>I am hooked to my campus ethernet network.
>While running windows, I get tremendous throughput loading pages, doing
>ftp, etc..now in netscape in linux, I am getting throughput no higher than
>3.5k/sec and then it starts dropping, and stalls out..goes back up to
>3.5/3.6 and drops slowly to 3.0, 2.9,2.8..etc then stalls out..
>any ideas?  I am using an AMD K6-II 350 overclocked to 400, 128 megs
>SDRAM, an SMC EtherEZ 8416 NIC, mandrake 7.0

I think that´s a Netscape related problem. Actually I´m so fed up with
Netscape that I don´t use it anymore...

>. Also, I had the same problem as I thought the others did...I try to
>telnet to my machine from somewhere else, and it says connected...I wait
>for the login prompt, it hesitates and then the connection is dropped.
>I know I should edit my /etc/inetd file..what should I make sure it has to
>be able to telnet in?
>I just want to be able to telnet and ftp into my machine, s'all.
>
>Thanks Valjean

You should have an entry like this in "/etc/inetd.conf":
telnet  stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd  in.telnetd

If it still doesn´t work after you uncomment this line, have a look if there
is a file "in.telnetd" in "/usr/sbin". If not, you have to install the telnet
-server rpm (There are two telnet rpm´s, telnet-server and telnet-client), it
should work then.

Cheers,
Ove