Alan Shoemaker wrote:

> Mike....correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't you the guy who's
> been telling some folks in this list that their questions aren't
> appropriate for this forum and to go ask them in the expert
> list?  Well I think that your response in this thread (quoted
> below) was not appropriate for the newbie list.  The remedy here
> was very simple and your four rambling paragraphs have simply
> served to confuse the issue.

Not really, but then maybe I've been accustomed to less than trivial for longer
than I can recall.  When I first started learning about computers and
programming, my ramble wouldn't have caused any problems, but then I also had a
few years of math and physics behind me.  Nonetheless, if I think back to before
that, then I wouldn't have been put off by a more thorough explanation.  Heck, my
father wanted me to help him remodel the house when I was a mere 8 years old;
therefore, I've been held to above normal expectations for decades.

If you're confused, then don't think that this means that everyone else who's a
newbie would also be confused.  As I recall in school, in every course, at every
level, not everyone was equally comfortable with the material.

What I prefer to do when I find an answer or document too complicated, is to
stick with the one I was more comfortable with, as long as it works.  Otherwise,
I just ask questions for clarification.

We're not communicating between people in grade 1 of elementary school, here;
therefore, expect some people to provide more thorough answers.  When you don't
like it, move on.  If newbies seeking help scream in panic, then this will
definitely help to indicate that what you say is true, but as it is, you're
pretending to be able to speak for them, instead of letting them speak for
themselves.

As a relative newbie to Linux systems administration, but not to Unix and
programming, I presented information I learned as a newbie to Linux systems
administration, and based on this, the additional info wasn't out of context.

Besides, newbies also need to learn the system and some will catch on very
quickly, while those who don't, can either ask for clarification, or stick with
the simpler responses they've received.

How complicated do you want to make this?

Some people in the newbie list have already proven that they're not newbie; only
to installing Linux and only in some respects, more in some and less in others.

By providing more thorough information in a newbie mailing list, as well as more
elementary answers, this satisfies the entire group.  If you're not happy with an
answer which is correct, then skip.  If you're not happy with an answer which is
not 100% correct, but along the correct line(s), then correct the errors.

This mailing list is for learning, as far as I'm aware, because getting help
inherently implies learning.  Part of accepting to learn is accepting to make
errors or mistakes, and to learn from these.

Why treat people like babies, instead of giving them something to chew on?

People using this list to get help for their employment should subscribe to
professional support mailing lists or resources; therefore, I don't perceive
these mailing lists except for the much more general audience, including
hobbiests.  My case is neither of these, but instead merely learning, to merely
become more marketable, kind of like going to school, but without the tuition
fees and the piece of paper at the end.  You'll find people using these mailing
lists for various reasons, but you seem to only want to reduce or restrict to
people who are 100% newbie to computing, which is not the reality.

If you wish to share more about your pedagogical philosophies or approaches, then
feel free.  However, I wouldn't bother based on this thread, because what
I presented is not really above the newbie level.  Again, I learned it during my
newbie phase to Linux systems administration, but then I tend to spend a fair
amount of time reading ahead and reading various documentation I come across and
which might be even remotely related.  Just because others don't do this, doesn't
mean that this approach isn't relevant to people at the newbie level.

Baby food is nourishing, but it's usually more nourshing when there's an adequate
amount of vitamins and minerals.

I'm not knocking the response to set umask to 0 for the dos partitions, in the
fstab file, but also didn't present anything above newbie level.  Hence,
argumentation or discourse.

mike