Kathleen,

If your Rockwell is a "Winmodem" it isn't supported by Linux.  Basically,
any free standing modem is more likely to be safe than an internal modem.
If the modem was really inexpensive (e.g. $20-$30) it is probably a
WinModem and expects to use Win services to fill in for its own
inadequacies.  The card is mostly an interface and the "modem" is
implemented in software on WinModems.  My own is a 3COM USR Voice Fax
Modem, but its an exspenvie one.

The other possibility is that your software is looking in the wrong place.
When you first run your dial-up setup - I use KPPP - you need to tell the
system that the modem is on /dev/ttyS1 (if indeed it is on com2).  If your
setup points to /dev/modem, then run ls -al /dev/modem to find what it is
linked to.  /dev/modem is symbolic link and needs to point to the correct
device.

..
> Second, I thought my modem was configured properly during the Mandrake
> install.  Whenever I try to use it in Linux, it says the modem is busy.
> It's definitely not.  I bought the confounded modem expressly because I
> was
> under the impression that it was supported by Linux.  It is a Rockwell
> ACF
> II 56k data fax modem, on COM port 2 (in windows language).  Today I read
> something somewhere that suggested Rockwells aren't usually supported by
> Linux.  Was I misled?  Can anyone point me in the direction of a
> Linux-modem
> webpage?
>
> Sheesh.  I realize I sound like a babe in the woods here.  Bear with me.
> Thank goodness this list is labeled "newbie"!
>
> Thanks,
> Kathleen

John Dougherty

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]     You honor, Vacerra, the ancients alone
                and never praise poets, unless dead and gone