On Thu, 20 Apr 2000, "The Russells" wrote:
 . .
> >You don't have a bios on Apple computers?  (No, seriously, you don't?)
>
> Nope.  I suppose the most similar thing to BIOS in a Mac would be the
> extension manager, but it's certainly not the same thing.
>
> In a way a person has less control while using a Mac.  But a perosn can
> allocate programs more or less memory, which is cool.  And resetting the
> PRAM--now that's fun!

The BIOS is on the mother board itself and is coded on to the BIOS chip.
Without it Intel systems don't run since it loads the initial boot up
program from the MBR.  Win/DOS also has a software "BIOS" as well, one of a
pair of hidden system files that DOS (and OS/2, Win9* and NT 3*) requires.
The NT versions used to be the MS OS/2 versions.  I don't know whether that
has changed or not.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]     You honor, Vacerra, the ancients alone
                and never praise poets, unless dead and gone
                your pardon I beg, if ungracious I seem
                but 'tis not worth dying to gain your esteem
                                --- Martial ----