John wrote:
> The BIOS is on the mother board itself and is coded on to the BIOS chip.
> Without it Intel systems don't run since it loads the initial boot up
> program from the MBR.  Win/DOS also has a software "BIOS" as well, one of
> pair of hidden system files that DOS (and OS/2, Win9* and NT 3*) requires.
> The NT versions used to be the MS OS/2 versions.  I don't know whether
that
> has changed or not.

Disclaimer:  i was pretty much joking about the BIOS thing.  I actually
really like my BIOS (ambios).  A friend of mine has a really cruddy BIOS,
but the computer is a machine is a Hewlett Packard, so it is a cruddy system
in general.

I suppose a person would have to buy a whole new motherboard to get a
different kind of BIOS.  Can a person upgrade using the same motherboard,
but maybe a different version or something?

Thanks,
Kathleen