Dave Lers wrote:

> On Sat, 20 May 2000, Charles Comer wrote:
> > Go to your local computer store (NOT Best Buy or CompUSA). Ask them, they
> > will sell you a crossover cable. The pinouts are different compared to
> > regular Cat. 5 cables with RJ45 jacks, but they look the same. But if you
> > spend 15-30 bucks on a cheap hub, you will be able to expand yopu home-LAN
> > later.
>
> Aren't cheap hubs 10mbs? Figure $67 for a 10/100 fast ethernet hub/switch. How
> much does it matter? I started with a couple of CNet 10/100 cards and a crossover
>cable
> from Mwave.com for less than $25. I figured I didn't want to loose the speed I
> had with the crossover and recently bought the D-Link 10/100 kit for $97
> (10/100 switch and 2 10/100 NIC's with WOL).

I'm using a Netgear 10/100 starter kit (paid about $120), came with autosensing hub,
two
10/100 cards and 50 feet of CAT 5 cable.  I hate buying things twice, I try to avoid
the
bottom of the line products.  Spend a little more and you usually get something that's
worth keeping.  (This of course doesn't apply to software - i.e. M$)
Mike

--
Michael Holt