flupke wrote:

> Sorry, I didn't follow this tread from the begining, so I hope I won't say
> anything stoopid or something that has already been said.
> If I understand, the problem here is all the dump of the stack and
> registers caused by a page default or something at the end of a shutdown.
>
> I have the same problem. I think it only happens on Motherboards with VIA
> chips. I don't mind about it since it doesn't cause any damage, but it is
> nice to get rid of that bad stuff.
> I solved the problem by modifying the /etc/rc.d/init.d/halt file and
> change the line
>         eval $command -i -d -p
>         eval $command -i -d
>
> PS : http://www.mandrakeuser.org/troubles/tquick1.html :-)
>
> HTH
> Flupke
>
> On Sun, 11 Jun 2000, Fran Parker wrote:
>
> > I second what Ronald wrote...I went to DRAKCONF and
> > found it there no problem and disabled it.  Shutdown and
> > there were all the things on the screen again...full screen
> > all over the screen...
> >
> > I also already had the power management in KDE disabled
> > as well.
> >
> > Oh, well it was worth a shot.
> >
> > Anyway, reboot works just fine :)
> >
> > Bambi

> > > Hi. Well, I opened up a shell on my desktop,
> > > ran su, password, typed in "setup" and it told
> > > me, "bash: command not found".
> > >
> > > So I went into the DRAKCONF and ran startup,
> > > found it (under anacron, like you said) and
> > > disabled it. Unfortunately, after powering
> > > down, and rebooting, the problem still exists.
> > > I also have dmps disabled from the kde desktop
> > > (don't know if that needed to be or not). Any
> > > other possible ideas as to what it might be?
> > >
> > > (Thanks to Dennis Myers for the DRAKCONF tip)
> > >
> > > Thanks much!
> > >
> > > PS Did you see the reply I posted with the details
> > > on the screen that I'm left with? Maybe you can
> > > find a clue there...
> > >
> > > See ya...
> >

> --
>         << There's no place like ~ ! >>

Well, I tried my own advise and it didn't work for me either.  I see the
suggestion to edit or modify the rc.d files but don't know how to do that. The
last time I tried to change a file I crashed the whole config and had to
reinstall.  By the way, I am getting very good at reinstall or new install since
there seems to be something  that causes me to lose my mouse and Keyboard every
now and then.  I keep trying to find the problem but no luck so far.  I am
running an AMD K6 II - 333  with a soyo 5EMA + motherboard 64 meg ram  and
western Digital  13.6 gig ide hard drive, generic floppy and cdrom.   If there is
a man page or faq that talks about editing files I would like to know.  I am not
trained in computers just determined to learn.   Thanks in advance for any help
here.