Hi Bascule.

On Mon, 12 Jun 2000, bascule wrote:

> i am having trouble setting up two machines to talk to each other, i'll
> put all the questions in this one post since they are all related,
>
> 1) do i need to 'fake' a domain for both machines to belong to or is it
> enough to give each machine a name?
It's better to have a domain.

> 2)is the ip address of each nic the same as each machine or is that
> different? (i ask because i know that one machine could have more than
> one nic)
No. Each nic has an IP adress. If a machine has 5 nics, then it will
respond to 5 IPs.

> 3)do i need a default gateway or to set up any routing info if i only
> have two machines connected via a hub?
If you just intend to communicate between the two comps, it's not
necessary. But if you want for instance set up a firewall masquerading to
share your connection between your machines, then that becomes another
problem.

> 4)i know about the reserved ip addresses but does it matter which
> address in an allowed range is used? i have used 192.168.0.1 on one box
> and 192.168.0.2 on the other
That's fine.

> 5)what other quiestions should i have asked?!
Depends on what you plan to do with your network... :-)

> i have never connected two machines before, i have read a couple of
> books but they are a little over my head and seem to assume a lot, my
> machines both run mandrake 7-02 one is a 486 and one is an amdk6-2 400,
> i have installed a netgear ea201 in each machine and according to the
> diagnostic disk provided both are setup ok. of course until i know that
> linux is configured properly in both machines i won't know this for
> sure,
>
> any answers, recommended books, urls gratefully received,
I would suggest you to read the LAME (Linux Administration Made Easy) and
other books from the LDP (the NAG and SAG [Network/System Administrator's
Guide],...) Thoses are available in different formats and language at
http://ldp.linuxbe.org . There sure are other mirrors somewhere else, but
I don't know them.

> it is my intention to one day have the 486 machine be a firewall, i
> perceive that one day the uk will have reasonably priced unmetered isp
> access and i want to be ready!
Well, prepare your knowledge before worying about hardware (but ok,
it's also important to have something to make it run...). Read as lot as
you can about TCP/IP, routing, browse the HOWTOs, etc...

HTH
Flupke

--
        << There's no place like ~ ! >>