Once it's up and running, you don't need much.

The problem is that the installers and configuration utilities utilize X
windows...

Yes, you can do this in textmode... but it becomes very complicated for a
newbie to deal with textmode and script editing... etc.

Anyway after things are set up 32 megs or less will often do as long as the
latency between your interfaces is relatively low.

You have a P100 which is normally adecuate for cable modem speeds, esp. due
to the PCI bus.

He is talking about a 486. Have you every tried a dual ISA 486
configuration?

It works, if you minimize the installation requirements... but performance
is not optimal... or you can run something like the floppy based bare Linux
distros which tend to work well... like the Linux Router Project...

For Mandrake, however he is best advised to get more RAM... just to permit
the install to complete. Use X to set things up and test... and then he can
dump X and all the X apps.

Or, help him set it up in text mode...

-JMS