On Mon, 3 Jul 2000, John Catral wrote:

>it points to hdc
>
>Paul wrote:
>
>> >I tried changing the auto to iso9660 and I still get the "mount:
>/mnt/cdrom is not a
>> >valid block device"  I tried all combinations (/dev/cdrom, /dev/hdc,
>/mnt/cdrom) and
>> >still the same error message.  I can mount the second cdrom though.
>"mount /dev/cdrom2
>> >/mnt/cdrom2" works but not the primary cdrom. Arerrgg!!  =( HELP!!!! =(
>>
>> ls -l /dev/cdrom
>>
>> Where does it point to then?

Hmmm, that should be the right one.
The line for my CDRom in fstab is this:

/mnt/cdrom /mnt/cdrom supermount fs=iso9660,dev=/dev/cdrom 0 0

I assume that sort of matches yours. Very strange that it won't work, I
have not yet heard of a CDRom that won't work in Linux.

Unlikely idea, but still: can you mount cdrom2 to /mnt/cdrom ?

umount /mnt/cdrom
mount /dev/cdrom2 /mnt/cdrom

Just to see if there is nothing wrong with /mnt/cdrom. If that works, try

umount /mnt/cdrom2
mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom2

Curious what that would give you. Stranger things have happened...
Paul

--
Who cares more for information than for inspiration,
prefers elevators to wings.

)0(    [[EMAIL PROTECTED]]    )0(
http://nlpagan.net -  ICQ 147208
Registered  Linux  User   174403