|-----Original Message-----

Not necessarily.

Your connect script might be expecting to see Ascii text at this point but
your ISP might already be way into PPP handshaking and PAP/CHAP
authentication.

In this case you would see unintelligible gibberish, as this is handled in
binary sequences.

If this is the case, the fix is to REDUCE the wait time for a PPP connection
and eliminate your last send/expect entries.

|Something isn't right or
|I'd get back legible data.  I think that's probably the only hurdle left
|for my end then it'd work fine.  Also, if I can figure out Earthlink,
|then I can work on my other ISP, S. W. Bell.

However to make matters worst, you'll also get unintelligible gibberish when
the modem is switching the DCE rate down, but the computer is fixed at
another rate.

You need to make sure that your initialization string "fixes" the DCE rate
at 115K and that you use the STTY SPD_VHI option in /etc/rc.d/rc.local to
adjust the UART to reflect this.

The modem to modem rate is handled via "probes" between the local and remote
modem, and will vary based upon line conditions. If your NVRAM modem
settings were reset, the modem's rate when communicating via the UART to the
computer will vary along with the modem to modem rate. This will give any
comm program headaches.

-JMS