I had the same problem....

Changed flow control to xon/xoff   and  suddenly it worked!

MarkP

>toyswins wrote:

Well, sorry but having to revert to you folks for help.  Get this
message on dialing so the other end is hanging up immediately on
connect.  I've checked the various files in the HOWTO's and all seems
fine.  Used KPPP 1.6.22 as the dialer and to set up the system.  pppd is
2.3.8 so I've provided the full fault message below.

I've reloaded the entire Linux Mandrake 6.5 two times, no changes.  All
the startup files load okay.  As root, it's a pretty system, but hit
this glitch.

pppd 2.3.8 started by root, uid0
Using interface ppp0
Connect ppp0<--->/dev/ttyS1
Hangup (SIGHUP)
Modemhangup
Connection terminated.
Exit

This is what I understand so far: The modem is found, dials and gets a
machine on the other end.  The other machine then immediately initiated
a disconnect, (SIGHUP), then it disconnects at my end, gives me the
error message.

ISP is S. W. Bell.  I've got the ADSL on the Windows system going fine,
but it dies now and then, also I travel and need access from other
locations.  The dialup on LINUX would be really handy, if I could get it
to work.  I know there's either a bug or three and need to update to
something or I've got some configuration problem.  Either way, I've
looked at it so long I'm not seeing it.  Pointers????

Thanks

B. B. Stanfield III
KC5PIY