if you've a partition on your hd that is of sufficient size and is planned to
still exist after the upgrade download the entire "Mandrake" directory to
that partition...(by the entire "Mandrake" diectory, i mean that directory
which contains only the three subdirectories: RPMS, base, and mdkinst...this
"Mandrake" directory is oft-times a sub-directory of a more general mandrake
directory on various FTP sites)...also download the hd.img from the images
directory...

make a floppy disk "image" of hd.img using either rawrite (in windows) or the
dd command (in linux)...use that floppy to start the install process from
your hd...

by having the "Mandrake" directory stored on a spare partition of your hard
drive, you give yourself the option of re-installing without going through
the download process again...a complete install from my hard drive takes
about 22 minutes from booting the floppy to being online...

if ya like ta fiddle with the system, you'll likely re-install mandrake
several times...

frank