Are you going to do an ftp install from one of the Linux-Mandrake mirror sites? If
you are, then go to the fastest download site you can find (I like
ftp://phyppro1.phy.bnl.gov/pub/linux-mandrake/7.1/, it blazes) and:

1) In the /images directory, download the file called "network.img". If you
download it on your Linux system you can just copy it to a floppy and reboot with
the floppy in, but if you download on a Windows machine you need to use the
Rawrite.exe program. If you don't have it it is in the /dosutils directory. Just
run it and it will ask for the file to be copied (remember to use the full file
name "network.img") and the drive to be copied to "a:". Then just place in your
Linux drive and reboot or turn on.

2) The system will automatically boot into the "installer" and ask you all the
normal questions about your system. When it comes time to download all the files
be sure to have the ftp site address handy, this is where most mistakes are made.
In this case:

Enter ftp site: ftp.phyppro1.phy.bnl.gov
Directory: /pub/linux-mandrake/7.1/

Be prepared to take a long time if you are doing this with a 56k modem, I suggest
doing it at night (the later the better). Even if you have cable modem or DSL
there tends to be far less network traffic latenight and downloads are much faster
with less a chance of data errors or dropped connections, because it can take
anywhere from 10-30 minutes depending on connection speed.

Victor