if your dsl modem is feeding into an ethernet card (some feed usb instead)
the set-up ought be very similar...

the primary name (as in item 9 below) is the complete name of your computer,
as assigned to you by your ISP...the portion before the first dot (reading
from the left) is unique to your computer, and is often a bunch of letters
and numbers...the portion after the first dot is the domain name of your
ISP...

your user name is the name you type in to identify yourself to your
ISP...often something like jtsmithwinkle, or a made-up handle like
gorethunker, THEpid, or leftnostril...

your computer host name is that part of your "primary name  + domain" that
comes before the first dot...

hope that's clear...if not, let me know and i'll garble forth some more...

frank