From: Gil Baron W0MN [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, July 20, 2000 7:48 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [newbie] Windoze

I mean applications for Ham Radio like
Truetty   RTTY and AMtor with sound cark
Zakanaka  PSK31 with sound card
Logic 5   Logging and radio control program
Fritz 6   Chess program that has beaten the world champion
MS Office I don't want to convert files and everyone is using office
Fugawi    A digital mapping program that allows me to make maps to put in my
Palm for GPS use
PSP5      The best low cost image processing program

All this is only a start. I have 15000 files on my system. Of course not
that many apps but a lot.
Netscape sucks in comparison to IE5.5. Various other things that are not yet
on Linux.

> > Everyone expects everything for free on Linux. Well ad far as
> application
> > choice goes, you get what you pay for.
>
> Yes, exactly!  Everything I need is there: Office (KOffice, StarOffice),
> graphics (GIMP), browser (Netscape, Mozilla), email clients (lots and
> lotsa), news clients (too many to name 'em all), programming
> (what language
> do you want?  I suppose that it is available), databases (MySQL,
> PostgreSQL,
> Interbase), ....

Yes but these applications are not nearly as robust as the Usoft
counterparts. Nothing available can touch Outlook and Outlook express.

> > I am not hoping that we talk about LINUX in the past tense. I
> just find it
> > is not ready for serious use yet AT HOME.
>
> So isn't Windows.  That's all I'm trying to say.
>
> > AGAIN though applications are the major thing, they drive the
> OS and not the
> > other way around. THAT is the real world.
>
> Sure, and that's why Linux will "win".  If there's something to win.

Not at this time it won't. It is also MUCH harder to install for the average
person.
It is a fun toy and learning experience, that is all.