I read an interview with an airforce sysadmin where he
was asked about linux and other free OS's.  He replied
that they use lilnux for many of their servers (in
some cases against the wishes of their superiors) and
windows for desktop machines.  His arguement was that
they have to have a standardized interface on as many
machines as they can.  This is so Joe Blow can be
transfered from miami to germany, go into his office
and do his work without retraining.  He also mentioned
that the majority of users are immediately familiar
with a windows interface while the average user would
be lost on a gnome/windowmaker/kde desktop.

Dacia