Hello,

That sounds suspiciously like a nameserver problem.  Unlike Windows, Linux
requires you to specify your nameserver ips and will not automatically
recognize them.  What you should do is try to ping an ip address.
204.71.200.243 and 204.71.200.245 are ip addresses for yahoo.com.  You can
also try a traceroute.  If this works, try pinging the domain name, ie
yahoo.com.  If it fails, it's a nameserver problem.  You will need to
contact your isp to get the nameserver or dns addresses.  You will also need
to get the domain.  You can then enter these in the kppp configuration box
or edit the file /etc/resolv.conf.  The format of /etc/resolv.conf looks
something like this:

domain <ISP domain name>
nameserver <primary nameserver address>
nameserver <secondary nameserver address>

an example:

domain physics.ubc.ca
nameserver 137.82.43.9
nameserver 137.82.1.1

Also check out the webpage http://axion.physics.ubc.ca/ppp-linux.txt
It has a ton of info about getting ppp to work.

I hope this helps you out.

Good luck,

JON

Oh yeah, don't worry about the /dev/modem thing.  It's just a symbolic link
to the proper serial port.  If you want it to point to the correct device,
delete the current /dev/modem
and type the command

ln -s /dev/ttyS1 /dev/modem

That will point the link to the correct device.