I had the exact same problem! the only way I solved it was by switching
ISP's I know it sounds crazy but I did everything that the others are
telling you and all my settings were correct. I am going to college and my
school's dial up will accept pap authentication. I still don't know why my
isp wouldn't work.
Not much help I know. Let us know if you manage to fix it

Seth
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

=====