excellent advice.  I too play games in linux as well as use the Gimp on a
daily basis.  I choose a 3dfx card because I like playing games in glide, I
respect their company and their products work exceptionally well in linux and
windows.

Look at what you use it for and what your priorities are and THEN make your
decision.

Abe

>===== Original Message From [EMAIL PROTECTED] =====
>I only have one off topic suggestion ...... have fun  =o)   theres a ton of
>cool things out there to try or implement/refine and perfect ... try em all
>..... when you get curious or daring enough, play with some source code (C
>C++ Perl Python) whatever .. even if you dont know how to code, or leave
>everything the way it is .... the cool thing is Linux is the ultimate
>playground for anyone who wants to actually "use" a computer rather than
>have an operating system "guide" the user.  The learning curve for the
>operating system *core* looks more like a vertical wall than a curve ...
>thing is there are a LOT of hands sticking out willing to help if you want
>them to. If you're careful about steps you take (recovery disks, backups
>etc) and you ask for help ... .the climb is a rush.
>
>Ok enough .... on topic advice for video cards .... I believe another
>poster mentioned the best advice.  Choose something that suits what you
>want to use it for and what resources you already have (Monitor
>limitations, is this for gaming and playing with OpenGL stuff, do you just
>need X running etc)  I personally am a fan of Loki and support their
>porting efforts by purchasing their games ported to Linux so I like hitting
>high frame rates with full effects on and GeForce and a nice 17" .24
>monitor do this for me.  It al ldepends on what you want  =o)
>
>Lonny

Jesus saves,
Allah forgives,
Chthulu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.