----- Original Message -----
From: "John" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, September 11, 2000 10:59 AM
Subject: Re: [newbie] I can't detect my modem

> Charles,
>
> I followed your instructions for configuring my port.   Unfortunately with
> no success.  Found my device just fine using cat tool.
> It is indeed a Communication controller.  :)   It is set to IRQ 9.    I
> entered the setserial commands you gave me and after doing so and did a
> modem query. Now I get  "No response from modem" vice "Modem is Busy"
reply.
> So I did some experimenting with the setserial handles.  I entered them
each
> one at time, skipped different ones, just about every combo
> possible(restarting between different patterns).  What is happening is I
> continue to get the busy reply unless I either (1) include skip_test with
> the autoconfig handle -or- (2) run the autoconfig without the skip_test
> (still busy) and then do the setserial uart 16550A.  Then i get the no
> response.  It seems to me I have isolated the problem to the uart.  I can
do
> all the other commands and still get the busy reply, but once I use
> skip_test or set the uart I get no response.  I also tried every different
> uart setting it would allow me to. No help.  I tried the process on ttyS1
as
> well with same results.  What exactly is the uart anyway?  I also did less
> /proc/interrrupts to look at my IRQs and it wasn't listed (9 that is).
> Where do I go from here?
>
> /proc/pci info
>
> BUS 0, device 4, function 0:
> Communication controller: Lucent (ex-At&t) Microelectronics L56xMF(rev. 1)
> Medium devsel. Fast back-to-back capable. IRQ 9.
> Master capable. No bursts. Max Gnt=252. Max Lat=14
>
> Also, I am running dual boot (grub) WIN98/Mandrake7.1 Athlon600
>
> Help! )

" The Universal Asynchronous Receiver-Transmitter (UART) is a component of
your computer containing the circuits required for asynchronous serial
communication. It lets computers communicate over a simple wire connection.
The UART is the most common type of circuit used in personal computer
communications.

Three types of UARTs - 8250, 16450 and 16550AF - contain a variety of
features and operate at different speeds. The 8250 can operate at a maximum
speed of 9600 baud. The 16450 can operate at a maximum speed of 19.2k baud.
The 16550AF can operate at a maximum speed of 115.2k. Obviously, the other
components of the computer and communications configuration will also affect
these speeds.

Sensormatic recommends using the 16550AF UART, which uses a technique called
"First In First Out" (FIFO). An on-board, 16-byte buffer allows the 16550AF
to keep communicating even when a multitasking computer turns its attention
to other programs. This feature enhances throughput.

Note: Your software must enable the in-chip buffer on the 16550AF.
Otherwise, the 16550AF will function exactly as a 16450."

Is your BIOS set to Non PnP OS?
Is Serial Port2 enabled or disabled in your BIOS?
Do you have any other serial devices other than a mouse?( Even ps2 mice
occupy Serial Port1)
When you issued the setserial commands did you use the correct I/O.( It
should be the first listed and the same as is used in Windows.)
What brand and model modem do you have and is it PCI or ISA?

We have now entered the trial and error mode of config. I will give you what
help and imput that I can but I can not promise that I can help you solve
your problem.

   Charles