----- Original Message -----
From: "Craig Westerman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, September 11, 2000 3:46 PM
Subject: Re: [newbie] I can't detect my modem - Attention Charles A Edwards

> > Craig
> >     2 other things to lok at.
> > Do you have your BIOS set for Non PnP OS (Linux is not a PnP OS). Your
PCI
> > modem should appear as IRQ 11.
> >    In your cat/proc/pci listings does any other device show as also
using
> > IRQ 10.
> >
> > > Please understand guys, everyone's situation is different. What was a
> > simple
> > > setup on your machine may not be on another.
> >
> >   The "weakly" instructions I gave are the same for ALL Linux distros
and
> > ALL machines using a PCI modem.
> >   The worst way to get help is by insulting the people who try  help.
> >
> >    Charles
>
> Charles,
>
> 1. Yes PnP in BIOS is OFF.
>
> 2. Yes the modem shows up as IRQ 10 and NOTHING else shows up as IRQ 10 in
my
> at/proc/pci listing.
>
> Charles the weakly comment was meant all in FUN. Thus the :-) following
the
> word weakly. From your point of view it is a simple setup. From my point
of
> view it SHOULD be an easy setup. Obviously something is being overlooked
by
> everyone offering help and advise. I've had many other people with same
modem
> email me saying they had same problem.
>
> Thanks for your help. No insult intended.

Craig
   Sorry for the flare up. The humor just hit me wrong when I read it.

   Denis replyed to another post that recalled something I had forgotten.
  Did you set up any kind of network during or after your Mandrake
installation. This can cause the behavior we are seeing with your modem
  Also have you used anything other than kppp to set-up your connection if
so it may also be causing a problem.

Since we have done what should work but dosn't we now enter the realm of
trial, error, and hope.

   Charles