Dennis:
I'm not sure this will work on your setup, but I can increase the dial
tone wait time from the dialler by picking setup, modem, and then
changing the busy wait to whatever is comfortable. I use a four second
wait -- long enough for me to hear the stutter tone.
I don't think that the #70 trick will work -- that is to prevent an
incoming call waiting signal from disrupting an established connection
(and it will!), whereas the stutter tone is to alert you to stored voice
messages before you make the call.
HTH --
-- cmg