> You did not note what you are using for an FTP server on the 98 box.
Windows
> 98/NT does not come with a standard FTP server so you have to buy one if
you
> want that type of capability.  Windows comes with an FTP client which you
used
> to connect the Linux boxes but no standard FTP server.

I'm only able to (almost) figure this out after reading Mike's response...

Do you mean by 'reverse the arrangement and try to use "linux" as my
workstation' that you are running windows on the "compaq", and linux on the
"linux" machines? And, then getting a timeout error when trying to connect
to the Windows 98 "compaq" via ftp *from* the "linux" machine?

Whoa! Head rush.

Yes, Mike is rght, if what I just hashed is correct. You need to run IIS of
some version in order to have ftp server capability on the Windows machine.
I think Personal Wed Server will give you this option, but I'm not sure.
And, yes, you have to pay for it (well, unless...I won't get into that).

However, if you mean that you are trying to connect from "linux" running
linux, to "compaq" running linux, and getting the timeout using ftp, then
there's a configuration problem on the, well, let's see...[great big pause]
"compaq" running linux machine.

But, if the dishwasher, running windows 98, cannot connect to, let me see,
Afghanistan with linux... Oh hell. I can't think anymore!  :-)

Could you make a step-by-step list of what you wanted?

--Greg