> I'm not sure if that's possible.

I'm not sure what in the message you don't think is possible so I
can't comment on this.

> Although I have been wondering about that
> myself. Fetchmail gets the mail from the ISP and passes passes the mail
> off to procmail who then filters the messages and deposits them to their
> prescribed destination. Those that are destined for my "Inbox" get
> deposited in /var/spool/mail/$USER. Other messages that are defined in
> .procmailrc are place in their respective folders in $HOME/mail where Pine
> reads them.

Here, however, I think you're presuming too much.  There are many ways
to skin this cat and procmail is only one of them.  I don't even have
procmail setup and yet filter inbound mail heavily.  This could be
part of my problem when using Pine (as you've suggested) but it will
filter/distribute mail to a number of folders without even a hint of
.procmailrc in my home directory.  Netscape doesn't even deal with
standard mailrouting and everything gets dumped into ~/nsmail which
holds the folders.

The problem I've seen with Pine has something to do with Pine's
operation, not inbound mail in my view.  I suspect that it has to do
with how the eXpunge command purges its buffer.  If I don't leave Pine
loaded all the time I don't have the problem.  If I do, I can delete
msgs and all of a sudden I can have as many as 3 copies of the same
bunch of msgs back in the mail folders.  Since my normal operation is
to D all msgs as I read them (except for those I want to keep which
are filed into other folders) followed with an X before leaving the
folder, these complete replica sets of the msgs I'd read a couple
hours previously (and they're in the same order as they were when I
read them) is easy to see.

Cheers -- Larry