Mark Weaver wrote:

> John,
>
> Using fetchmail and procmail are far easier than the HOWTO's present
> them. Using fetchmail is just a matter of issuing the command to get the
> mail from the server by a user in a terminal window. Like this:
>
>         fetchmail mail.hostname.com     <ENTER>
>
> If your system $USERname differs from that of your ISP username, (that
> which appears in your email address before the "@" symbol then you would
> invoke fetchmail like this:
>
>         fetchmail -u username mail.hostname.com
>
> If you want it to run as a daemon in the background simply add "-d 150" in
> the syntax. That will cause fetchmail to poll the mail server every 150
> seconds. There is also a utility included with Mandrake called
> Fetchmailconf that will allow you to setup and .fetchmailrc file on your
> system that will poll the server as soon as a net connection is detected
> when ever you connect to the net.
>
> As for procmail the only thing you have to do to use that is to setup up a
> .procmailrc file in your home dir and you're set. It get's read every time
> fetchmail get's the mail because fetchmail hands off the mail upon
> receiving it to procmail who then delivers the mail to
> /var/spool/mail/$USER. I've sent along a copy of my .procmailrc file for
> you to look at. Please feel free to do what ever you wish with it. If you
> want to use it or any portion of it just save it to your home dir as
> .procmailrc and it will work. Notice though how the "recipes" are
> constructed. That's the secret of using procmail to do your filtering. If
> you want more documentation check the man pages for procmail and
> procmailex.

Mark,

That's the best and simplest explanation of howto I've seen in ages.
Why oh why can't there be something as concise, succinct and easy
read at the front end of the howtos, man and info pages.

Documentors?? You hear this plea???

Fat, huge, big, silly grin!!

Cheers

--
ICQ# 89345394     Mailto: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"The number of UNIX installations has grown to 10, with more expected"