> > next, i have burned a few CDs using gtoaster.  i was burning one
> > this weekend and went to fire up GIMP while doing that.  short
> > of the long, Linux did a windoze imitation.  crashed & burned
> > big time.  first gtoaster froze, then KFM, then eterm.  ended up
> > shutting down to reboot.
>
> Burning CDs, in any OS is very much sensitive to the ability of
> the machine to keep the buffer full.  If there's a fetch with
> nothing there you lose and the disk is trash.  You can solve this
> problem by running at a slower speed using the -speed= option.
>
> Cheers --- Larry

     CD burning continues to be more of an art than a science ;)  I
have a highly regarded, quality, BX motherboard (Soyo 6ba+III) and
an equally regarded burner (Plextor 8432).  I burn off a fast HDD,
IBM 7200rpm 2mb cache.  My cpu/ram/L2 cache is optimized to the hilt
thru changes to L2 latency, FSB, and ram timings, boosted IO and
Vcore voltages.  608 mhz PIII, 256 mb of cas2 ram, excellent cpu and
case cooling.
-Still-
     I had some occaisional problems burning with Linux and W98 till
I swapped the CD-RW and CDrom on the second ide, making the burner
the slave.  Only thing I can think of to rationalize this 'fix' is
that as slave, the CD-RW is on the ide cable at a shorter length
from the motherboard.
--
Tom Brinkman        [EMAIL PROTECTED]         Galveston Bay