>      I had some occaisional problems burning with Linux and W98 till
> I swapped the CD-RW and CDrom on the second ide, making the burner
> the slave.  Only thing I can think of to rationalize this 'fix' is
> that as slave, the CD-RW is on the ide cable at a shorter length
> from the motherboard.

I always thought this was given as "standard practice" and the
explanations I've heard had more to do with throughput - i.e. reading from
one channel and out the other rather than reading and writing on the same
channel.  I've certainly found the same thing you have even though my
cables are both the same length.

Cheers --- Larry