On Saturday 25 November 2000 07:51 pm, patrick wrote:
er 2000 02:30 pm, KompuKit wrote:
> > > to be safe...just buy a EXTERNAL modem...
> > > all of them will work.

> >     this is just plain WRONG nonsense
> > Tom Brinkman

> no , this is not nonsense. external modems work quite well
> with linux.

 OK, I missed puttin a <space> between 'non' and 'sense'   Mea culpa!
Mea culpa!
*ALL* external modems won't work with OS's other than M$!  IMO, the
ready answer of "get an external modem" is _bad_ advice.  My reasons
are:
1) there's a lot of sorry motherboards out there that don't work with
serial devices any better than they do with anything (eg, anything Pc
Chips, ready mades like dell, gateway, compaq,... etc.).
2) all externals modems aren't serial, many now are USB (as in Uncle'S
Billy), and they're often very difficult to setup.  Plus....
4) (my unfavorite number is 3 ;)  Some external modems are WINmodems!
Yes, it's true, there's a few out there.
5) There's very good internal hardware modems available, both ISA and
PCI bus.    http://www.kcdata.com/~gromitkc/winmodem.html
6)  'hardware modems' @  pricewatch.com, internal/PCI start at  $17
Best, if you can find one is a Phoebe/TX Instruments PCI Internal,< $50
   (I'd recommend a NON-voice modem)
7) Who wants another box an' a bunch of wires on their desk ??
8) I'd end up spill'n beer all over an external anyhow
even if i gave up my ash tray  :p   ;>>>>>
--
Tom Brinkman       [EMAIL PROTECTED]     Galveston Bay