doesn't anyone read the friggin HCLs anymore? I can't believe how many
times folks will sit here on the list and discuss, argue, and exchange
tidbits about modems for Mandrake when there is a very clear list of
modems that "are" supported by this particular distribution of Linux.

In case there is anyone that doesn't know what an HCL is it is a Hardware
Compatibility List. At the Mandrake home page there is a link to this very
list which is named "Hardware".

In case you happen to have a "win-modem" in your machine you should do
search on the Newbie list archives for messages about this very
thing. there are links galore that can point to sites that will tell you
IF you will be able to get your win-modem to work, other sites that list
modems by manufacturer, whether or not they're a win-modem, or hardware
modem, and TONS of other stuff.

Personally I think there should be an attention message that comes
standard with every distribution of Mandrake instruction the consumer to
check the HCL to make sure their hardware is supported. I mean something
like a GIANT sticker that can't be missed.

Ok...I think I'm done ranting...thank you for listening.

--
Mark

/ * Sometimes it becomes necessary to rock the boat
  * in order to get the rats up from below decks
  * so they can be kicked over the side and drowned!
  *
  *     REGISTERED LINUX USER # 182496
  */

On Sat, 25 Nov 2000 Tom Brinkman had this to say!