On Thursday 14 December 2000 h:09, you wrote:
> this will shock everyone, but Tom seems to be right   =)
> *amazed silence*
> actually, Tom is about 99% right.... but
> when i installed linux first i had 60M ram and made a swap of 500M
> (i have disk space to burn)
> the swap was used somewhat....
> i recently added 128M ram, and linux hasn't touched my swap space since
> then. i have not seen my swap used, at all, ever....  since adding the 128M
>

> Adrian Smith
> 'de telepone dude
> Telecom Dept.
> x 7042
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

> On Wednesday 13 December 2000 05:56 am, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > Hi Guys and Gals,
> >
> > I was wondering how to mount a new Swap partion.
> >
> > When I originally did my install of Mandrake I made the swap 128meg,
> > and it should be at least double that (my physical memory is 128meg).
>
> ..   I suspect you've bought into the mistaken and _very outdated_
> notion that swap should be 2 times ram.  128mb /swap should be more
> than enough with 128mb of ram.
>
>    If you install another 128mb of ram, you prob'ly wouldn't even need
> a /swap.  Ram is a far far better solution than swap, particularly with
> Linux. So if you have some uniquely high memory requirements, I'd
> strongly suggest you add more ram than try to add or enlarge your /swap.
>    'Specially at today's prices ;)

Adrian and Tom,

Thanks Heaps guys.. this list is the best! Your advice is muchly appreciated.
I didn't know that the old "make swap double your physical memory" rule is
outdated... guess it used to matter a few years ago.

I wont even bother with doing it then... this is my work box so I am going to
hassle my boss for more meg.

Again, mucho kudos to you,

Bags.