hey Chris -- i didn't do anything.  just added the memory.  i don't have a clue how to
(if you even can) tell linux to use or not use the swap.  i monitor my swap and ram
use, and i have not seen any swap used since i went to 188M ram.

a 2G swap that is 100% used????  wow, that sounds really strange to me.  somehow that
just don't sound right at all.

and i should mention i use GIMP to manipulate images and such, which is memory intense
as you probably know.  even with that, i use no swap.  i just trust that linux knows
how to use the ram & swap i have provided, so i don't know a thing about tweaking the
useage.
=)

Adrian Smith
'de telepone dude
Telecom Dept.
x 7042
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Adrian Smith wrote:

> i recently added 128M ram, and linux hasn't touched my swap space since then.
> i have not seen my swap used, at all, ever....  since adding the 128M

   How'd you get it to not use the swap?... I have 128MB of RAM also,
and a 2GB (yes, 2 gig) swap partition that is always 100% used. Even
with the 128MB, I never have more than 6 or 7MB of memory free.

- chris