Tom Brinkman wrote:
> On Friday 29 December 2000 04:41 am, David and Alicia wrote:
> > ok, here is the real question: why do people try running linux?, the
> > impression i had gathered was that it was a lighter os and could be
> > used on older machines, (i386 etc). I was a little dismayed when i
> > saw the download size. How much disk space will a bare install need?
>     From zero (you can run Linux on a floppy) to as much as you care to
> let it have.  Keep in mind that only the kernel is Linux, everything
> else is (GNU) applications and the various configs, libraries, etc,
> that they need.   Read /. and you'll hear of people running Linux on a
> wristwatch ;)

  Some bloke got it going on a Dreamcast too.

  My reasons for running Linux:

(1)  It's free (as in beer, not speech).  And not just the OS, but
     the software.  The GIMP alone saves you $1,000+ over using
     Photoshop.

(2)  It's free (as in speech, not beer).

(3)  "It's more stable".  In my experience, what this has meant is that
     the OS won't glitch or die on you for no discernable reason - but
     it can and will glitch or die on you for reasons that are obscure
     at best to the newbie.  Essentially, Linux will let you into its
     guts to fix the problem when something goes wrong while Windows
     doesn't.  I hope to learn enough to take advantage of that.