> I've been using StarOffice spreadsheet and word. I use StarOffice and
> save as word97 and take it to work. I have even used word templates and
> they appear to be reasonable although not 100% compatibility (I guess
> you'd expect that).
>
> I've had limited success with StarOffice spreadsheet. I can read Excel97
> quite reasonably but going the other way I loose formatting such as
> color and some font attributes (but it was done).
>
> I have had no joy in transferring a spreadsheet to Kword it simply just
> locks up Kword - Whereas Gnumeric will take it across quite well (that
> is exporting to EXcel97 and importing that by Kword and Gnumeric).

Right i don't know if you just made a mistake when writing the email but
Kword isn't a spead sheet so it doesn't have support for excel files. Try
Kspead it has a filter for Ms excel 97 files.

> The only thing that really limits the usability and inter changeability
> of StarOffice files is the lack of true type font access straight out of
> the box. I've been trying recently to add true type to StarOffice and it
> is not very easy to do. Having font compatibility with Word and Excel
> fonts would be a bonus. I know with Mandrake you can import ttf but this
> makes it available only to X and not StarOfice. The Mandrake function to
> make ttf available to X is great but it would be much better if it could
> flow on into StarOffice.

I Koffice programs can use all the fonts that are aviable to KDE, and a I
think that KDE can use all the fonts that X has.

> If any one could prove me wrong with the font part I'd be extremely
> grateful.
> Nev
>
> Nev

Mark Hillary