Rick Commo wrote:

> Ok... I'll at least change the subject name before I ask the question or
> Mark and Roman will personally fly out here and get me!!
>
> Mark raises an interesting possibility.  The question is *how* compatible.
> Does any of the readership have any *real* experience.  I am looking for
> both pro and con.  I remember that a while back (6-12 months) there was a
> review of StarOffice in one of the Linux mags and the area of so called
> compatibility was not what I would have hoped for.
>
> Cheers and Happy New Year to all,
> Rick

I've been using StarOffice spreadsheet and word. I use StarOffice and
save as word97 and take it to work. I have even used word templates and
they appear to be reasonable although not 100% compatibility (I guess
you'd expect that).

I've had limited success with StarOffice spreadsheet. I can read Excel97
quite reasonably but going the other way I loose formatting such as
color and some font attributes (but it was done).

I have had no joy in transferring a spreadsheet to Kword it simply just
locks up Kword - Whereas Gnumeric will take it across quite well (that
is exporting to EXcel97 and importing that by Kword and Gnumeric).

The only thing that really limits the usability and inter changeability
of StarOffice files is the lack of true type font access straight out of
the box. I've been trying recently to add true type to StarOffice and it
is not very easy to do. Having font compatibility with Word and Excel
fonts would be a bonus. I know with Mandrake you can import ttf but this
makes it available only to X and not StarOfice. The Mandrake function to
make ttf available to X is great but it would be much better if it could
flow on into StarOffice.

If any one could prove me wrong with the font part I'd be extremely
grateful.
Nev

Nev