If there is better support for the things that I am trying to do, I would be
quite interested.  Also, I have one machine set up as a Windows ME / Linux test
system that I could also do testing on.  (I have an Linux experiment in flight
on the system, but I have options.)

I have cable modem access.

On another note I put together a little script to build ide device nodes.  I am
attaching it if you are interested in looking it over and telling me if I
properly understand how to go about building ide devices.

> Well, folks, it is that time of the development cycle where we traditionally
> (actually this is a brand new tradition) seek a few brave souls to act as
> testers for our next distro.
>
> This time, all you need is bravery and a computer system to try this out on.
> We are finishing testing protocols which will lead you through the testing
> steps; we have software that phones home with your tester number and your
> hardware configuration, and we are building a web site to post results and
> opinions.
>
> For the first time, we are looking for more than bugs to fix.  We are looking
> for ratings of functionality that we can share with the community, and with
> the developers and maintainers of the packages, even those we do not do
> ourselves.
>
> To enroll, just email me.  Tell me whether you have a fast connection and if
> not, send a postal address.  Oh, and make sure you are able to dedicate a
> little time the month of Valentine's Day.
>
> Well the pay isn't great ($0) but you do get my personal assistance via email
> to configure your computer to the next release.
>
> Civileme
> --
> QA/Software testing
#!/bin/bash
# By: Jason Snyder
# Name: hdbuild
# Purpose: Build a master / slave set of device nodes.
# Tested Environments: mdk 7.2.
# Usage: hdbuild [arg1:(root device name of master i.e. hda)]

#Declare Local Variables
MINORRANGE=0
DEVICERANGE=0
MAJORNO=0
MAJORFOUND=0
MASTER=$1
SLAVE=0

if [ "$#" -eq "1" ]; then
        #Examine root master to deturmin which major device to use
        case $1 in
                hda)
                        MAJORNO="3"
                        SLAVE="hdb"
                        MAJORFOUND="1"
                ;;
                hdc)
                        MAJORNO="22"
                        SLAVE="hdd"
                        MAJORFOUND="1"
                ;;
                hde)
                        MAJORRNO="33"
                        SLAVE="hdf"
                        MAJORFOUND="1"
                ;;
                hdg)
                        MAJORNO="34"
                        SLAVE="hdh"
                        MAJORFOUND="1"
                ;;
                hdi)
                        MAJORNO="56"
                        SLAVE="hdj"
                        MAJORFOUND="1"
                ;;
                hdk)
                        MAJORNO="57"
                        SLAVE="hdl"
                        MAJORFOUND="1"
                ;;
                hdm)
                        MAJORNO="88"
                        SLAVE="hdn"
                        MAJORFOUND="1"
                ;;
                hdo)
                        MAJORNO="89"
                        SLAVE="hdp"
                        MAJORFOUND="1"
                ;;
                hdq)
                        MAJORNO="90"
                        SLAVE="hdr"
                        MAJORFOUND="1"
                ;;
                hds)
                        MAJORNO="91"
                        SLAVE="hdt"
                        MAJORFOUND="1"
                ;;
        esac

        if [ "$MAJORFOUND" -eq "1" ]; then
                #Set variables for master
                MINORRANGE=0
                DEVICERANGE=1

                #Create root hd device for master
                mknod -m 660 /dev/$MASTER b $MAJORNO $MINORRANGE
                chown root /dev/$MASTER
                chgrp disk /dev/$MASTER
                let MINORRANGE=$MINORRANGE+1

                #Create partition devices for master
            while [ "$DEVICERANGE" -le "16" ]; do
                    #Create partition devices on hd device
                    mknod -m 660 /dev/$MASTER$DEVICERANGE b $MAJORNO $MINORRANGE
                    chown root /dev/$MASTER$DEVICERANGE
                    chgrp disk /dev/$MASTER$DEVICERANGE
                    let MINORRANGE=$MINORRANGE+1
                        let DEVICERANGE=$DEVICERANGE+1
                done

                #Set variables for slave
                MINORRANGE=64
                DEVICERANGE=1

            #Create root hd device for slave
            mknod -m 660 /dev/$SLAVE b $MAJORNO $MINORRANGE
            chown root /dev/$SLAVE
            chgrp disk /dev/$SLAVE
            let MINORRANGE=$MINORRANGE+1

                #Create partition devices for slave
            while [ "$DEVICERANGE" -le "16" ]; do
                #Create partition devices on hd device
                mknod -m 660 /dev/$SLAVE$DEVICERANGE b $MAJORNO $MINORRANGE
                chown root /dev/$SLAVE$DEVICERANGE
                chgrp disk /dev/$SLAVE$DEVICERANGE
                let MINORRANGE=$MINORRANGE+1
                        let DEVICERANGE=$DEVICERANGE+1
            done
        else
                echo "Error: Master device not valad!  Valid set is {hda, hdc, hde,
hdg, hdi, hdk, hdm, hdo, hdq, hds}"
        fi
else
        echo "This script builds a master / slave set of device nodes"
        echo "Usage: command [arg1:(root device name of master i.e. hda)]"
fi