From: civileme
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Sunday, January 07, 2001 3:19 AM
Subject: Re: [newbie] Recruitment Notice

On Sunday 07 January 2001 02:05, you wrote:
> Hey civilme, any idea if IDE CD-RWs like mine (LG CD-RW CED-8042B) will
> work in 8.0?
>

> peace,
>
> Rog
> http://www.slammingrooves.com
> Registered Linux user #19071
>
> On Sat, 6 Jan 2001, civileme wrote:
> > On Friday 05 January 2001 22:51, you wrote:
> >
> > Unusual is what we want--It does no good to make a distro that runs on
> > only "usual" machines.
> >
> > I will send you some software to analyse your system--I think I probably
> > know what doesn't work....  CDRW, LS120
> >
> > Civileme
> >
> > > Well I would say I have an unusual machine.
> > >
> > > Its a compaq 433
> > > LS-120 / Floppy that came stock
> > > Cd-rom stock
> > > Both of the above are on the Secondary IDE device.
> > >
> > > after market Hewlett Packard CD-RW
> > > after market US Robotics/3Com modem
> > > Parallel Port Zip Drive Plus
> > > Agfa Snap Scan USB Scanner that Mandrake 7.2 recognizes but no software
> > > does.
> > >
> > > I still haven't gotten everything to run on this though, can't imagine
> > > trying out beta...lol.

Well, the way to assure they do is to be a tester.  Actually they sometimes
work, if set on the master position of the IDE bus, enabled for DMA with
hdparm, and do not share the ide channel with a standard CDROM.  By opening
this form of testing we hope to achieve far broader compatibility with
hardware.  We cannot configure anything special for the LG if all we have
here is Plextor.

Civileme