Problem has been resolved.  For others that may need help:

I created a bootable floppy from a Win98 installation.
C:\ > format \S A:
& copied fdisk from Win98 to the floppy.

A:\ > fdisk /mbr     did the trick

reboot machine and WinNT started perfectly.

I also previously tried the bootpart.exe program from
www.winimage.com/bootpart.htm, followed the instructions but received
a message like " You need to us use command LOCK \S "

Bootpart may be worth further investigation as it allows you to use
the NT boot manager to select other OS installations.

Thanks for help

> Get your hands on a Windows 98/95 boot floppy disk. Boot from the floppy
> disk. At the "A:\" prompt, type the following exactly as shown;
>
> fdisk /mbr
>
> Make sure there's a space between "fdisk" and the forward slash "/" !
>
> Reboot your system. NT will fire up no problem.

Edward Stow                email [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Charles Sturt University   phone 02 6933 2387
Wagga Wagga, NSW 2678      fax   02 6933 2733
Australia