Remember that MS Word is a stand-alone of a whole family of MS Office products. Star Office launches the entire office suite. If MS Office did the same it would need to launch Word, Power Point, Excel, etc., etc. You are not comparing apples to apples.
-----Original Message-----
From: Tafta Zani [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, February 15, 2001 10:51 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [newbie] want my linux work faster and networking

hi guys,

I have heard that linux is relatively faster then windows.
But why do windows can open such large application like MS Word 2000
in less than five seconds but LM 7.2 needs more than that to open Star Office 5.2

Could any body recommend me something to be done (kernel compiling,
turning off services, upgrade kernel, hdparm or something) ?

By the way, where should I go if I want to learn basic networking under Linux and
to activate my ATA66 harddisk?

AMD Duron 700 Mhz
Gigabyte GA-7ZX UDMA 66 onboard
NVidia Riva TNT2 M64 16 Mb