On Fri, 23 Feb 2001 15:36, Tom Brinkman wrote:
> On Thursday 22 February 2001 08:35 pm, Mark Weaver wrote:
> > Ryan Le Gros wrote:
> > > the way the linux file system works keeps your drive
> > > defragmented at all times. thats one of the reasons its
> > > absolutely vital that you shut your machine down properly.
> >
> > Not if you're running with ReiserFS.  :)  I don't know if I'll
> > ever go back to ext2. Not that there's anything wrong with it..its
> > just that Reiser is...Well, one day the power went out while I was
> > running and when it came back on the comp came back up and never
> > missed a beat. At that moment I was sold on ReiserFS.
>
>   hehehe,  first time i used ReiserFS, shortly after the install I
> hit the power off button on purpose.
>   Didn't even blink an eye while rebooting ;)  Been using Rfs since
>   last summer with no problems
>
> http://oss.software.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/jfs/?dwzone=op
>ensource looks like an up'an comer tho too.

Ext3 should be finished soon as well, with suport in Kernel 2.4 to
follow soon afterward. However, this appears to be basically Ext2 with
journalling support and a few extras. ReiserFS, on the other hand, was
written from the ground-up with journalling. To add to this, it has
some other truly great features that most people seem to forget in the
euphoria of getting journalling. Unlike most filesystems (Ext2
included), ReiserFS does *not* have clusters, which makes it *very*
space-efficient and much quicker. I used to hate the idea of cluster
waste eating up precious hard drive resources - but not any more.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan.
                -- Jeremy S. Anderson