ReiserFS is generaly better than Ext2 in almost every way. I,
particular, it is faster, more space-efficient (no clusters!) and more
crash-tolerant (since it journals). ReiserFS is set up just like any
Ext2 partition. Formatting a Reiser partition will erase all data on
it. Make sure you kernel supports ReiserFS (Mandrake kernels from
Mandrake 7.1 onward do). Of course, you will need to modify your
/etc/fstab for the new partition to be mounted at boot. Windos cannot
read ReiserFS at all, so if you need Windos keep a spare FAT or NTFS
partition. More information on ReiserFS  can be found at
http://www.namesys.com.