There is a companion piece of software to KMail called kmailcvt.
 It is a utility that lets you import various address book
types, including MS Outlook Express among others.  The address
book in KMail is still fairly primitive when compared to
Outlook, but it's getting there.

One thing you have to be sure to do after performing an import
is to go into: Settings>Configuration>Appearance>Address Book
tab and from there change the layout from the traditional layout
to another layout such as KAB.  That's the only way your
recently imported contacts are viewable.

HTH,
Kyle Baker