Tom,

That's how I've got my system running and I've found the combination to
a very good one. As for wrapping your brain around the IPchains rules
and such. I can appreciate how you're feeling having been there myself.
It took a little while of looking at the man pages and then reading and
re-reading the HOWTO for IPchains about 6 times, and even after all that
I didn't really start to catch on until after I installed PMfirewall. I
started studying the actual rule-set and seeing how they're constructed
and things gradually began to dawn on me about what they're doing. Also
how to manipulate them to get them to do what I want them to do.

Mark