1. The path to run should be /usr/sbin/sndconfig, not
user/sbin/sndconfig.
2. sndconfig should be run from a root console, not as a user, and not
within X.
3. Try reinstalling the sndconfig RPM, found on your Mandrake CD, by
typing 'rpm -Uvh --force sndconfig*.i586.rpm'

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan.
                -- Jeremy S. Anderson