Thanks, and thanks for the offer to help further.  I'll probably give it a
shot again later today.  Do you suppose i can still use my current gateway as
a router for the internal lan and use the freesco for like a firewall between
it and the internet?  And how do I connect to adsl, as I use rp-pppoe
currently, what do I do with freesco?

As another way, Would it work if I set it up as a bridge between the internet
and the dsl modem/lan?  Would rp-pppoe still connect out through it?  I doubt
it.  I could set it up as a bridge between the gateway and the lan, but I'd
like to protect the gateway machine as well.  I'd really like freesco to be
my first line of defense.  (That machine I want to put it on has a new
unformatted hdd, and I'd like to keep it that way where hackers will only
have what's in ram to mess with.  They shouldn't have enough ram left to do
much and then if they do get thru, they still have to contend with Bastille
(is that what mandrake's firewall setup in control center uses?) on the
present gateway. And then portsentry on the linux workstations and ZoneAlarm
on the windows.

How do you have your network set up?  I'm not getting scanned as much now,
but a couple of weeks ago, I was getting hammered!  I think I even got
compromised, as some critical file permissions had changed and my root
password became iffy on the gateway.  I was using pmfirewall with ipchains
then.  I feel a little more secure with this iptables thing in mandrake, but
would feel better if I could get something else between us and the
crackers.

thanks.
-s